Sunday, September 20, 2009

Tiles, Tiles, Tiles...

This is what I have been up to recently. The lack of updates the past couple of weeks is mostly due to my involvement in renovating my bathroom. It's been a lot of fun, but I think the romanticism of hard work is slowly wearing off and I'd like to do some coding for a change.

I have an apartment in an old building and none of the walls are straight, so I had to cut a lot of custom fit tiles around the walls. One interesting thing I noticed was that in order to optimize that repretitive work, I started to use fuzzy measures, such as "a little less than 5 cm" or "a bit more than 3 and a half cm" instead if 52 mm or 38mm.

In Finland we use metric system and everything construction related is always expressed in mm or cm (except two-by-fours and two-by-twos). But in places where imperial units are used you often see fractional units being used, for example something measuring 2"1/4 is not that uncommon. Even if I like that we have universal system of units, I think it is not very practical in many cases in every day life.

I want fractional measures back to metric system too. Humans do a lot of work using binary search when estimating measures. "Five centimeters and a half and a little less and nudge to the right" is more accurate than a millimeter!

Despite being engaged in that physical excersice, the work on Recast has not stopped. The area stuff has progressed pretty well. I have generation side working pretty OK. It needs quite a lot of clean up and API massaging to be released.

Quite a few people have also reported patches to make Recast compile and work under Linux and 64bit. I was silly to actually do those changes in the same codebase where I did my area work, so I cannot submit those changes quite yet. But for those who are waiting for it, those changes are coming.

Once I get all the hackery peeled off, I will release an intermediate release which includes some of the area progress as well as the Linux fixes.

1 comment:

  1. It seems that a regular grid subdivision is not the best fit for a bathroom :D